Unraveling a Gothic Western: Help Me Choose the Title & Design the Perfect Cover!

A black stallion with a determined rider, a loyal dog by his side, emerges from a spooky graveyard bathed in moonlight.
Deep Dives and Difficult Decisions: Beta Reading, Titles, and Cover Art! (updated with new titles and concept art!)

Hey everyone!

Today, I'm taking you behind the scenes of my latest project: a thrilling Gothic Western with a touch of the paranormal and a hint of romance. Crafting a genre-defying story is exciting, but wrangling the perfect title and cover art to capture its essence? That's a whole other challenge! Here's where you, my awesome readers, come in!

Calling for Beta Readers!

As some of you may know, I recently put my manuscript out there for beta reading! This exciting
A stylized skull and leaves forming a paisley design on the cover of "Third Time Dead's the Charm: Evil's Reckoning," a Gothic Western novel.

(and sometimes nerve-wracking) stage involves getting early feedback from a trusted group of readers on my story. Their insights are invaluable in helping me polish the plot, characters, and overall flow of the book before it reaches your shelves.

I'm looking for readers who might enjoy a genre-bending story, particularly with a Gothic Western or Weird West twist.

Ideally, a beta reader would give constructive feedback (good and bad) to help me shape my story, who is at least somewhat familiar with Westerns.  I'm so grateful for the honest feedback from my beta readers!  What I've heard so far has been very positive.

Concept art for book cover titled "Dead or Unalive: Wanted: Second Chance" consisting of a tattered paper and an image of a cowboy on a black horse with a brown dog racing away from a graveyard.

Hearing this kind of feedback motivates me to keep polishing the story!

While the manuscript is out on its adventure, I'm neck-deep in another crucial aspect of bringing a book to life: the title and cover art!

Title Tightrope:

Choosing the perfect title feels like walking a tightrope – balancing intrigue, clarity, and memorability. That's why I need your creative minds!

A hand grasping a revolver emerges from a shallow grave under a full moon
Here are some title ideas based on the story, but I'm open to anything that sparks your imagination:

  • Beyond Boot Hill (classic Western feel with a touch of paranormal)
  • Beyond the Gallows (hints at themes of redemption and the paranormal)
  • Wanted: Dead or Unalive (intriguing, action-oriented, definite paranormal feel)
  • Unhung: A Reckoning in the Old West (evokes curiosity on the theme of justice with a definite Western spin)
  • Revenant Rider's Redemption Trail (highlights the protagonist's journey with a supernatural touch)
  • The Second Life of Eli Colton (focused completely on the main character's transformation)
  • Echoes of Lazarus (intriguing and suggests a possible resurrection, but no western theme)
  • Third Death's the Charm (Catchy and introduces the paranormal aspect, but no western theme)
  • Sepia rough sketch of cowboy riding horse under a gallows

Which title resonates most with you?  Why?  Fill out the poll below!

Cover Art Conundrums:

The cover art is a reader's first glimpse into the world of your book! I'm currently brainstorming some concepts, but I'd love to hear your thoughts. 
Concept art for book cover titled "Unhung Reckoning: A Dead Man's Fight for Redemption" consisting of an engraved antique revolver set on a black skull damask background.
I have some concept art that I've scattered around this post. (Never fear, I'm not using it in the final book cover!) 

What kind of imagery would capture the essence of a gothic western with a paranormal twist and a touch of romance?  Fill out the poll below!

I'm trying to find graphics that give a classic western feel, include the dog that is central to the story, while giving a bit of a mysterious edge, possibly hinting at themes of resurrection or redemption (all those "R" words, I know!).  I kinda like the edgy, sketched, monochromatic look reminiscent of old yellowback westerns and wanted posters.

A sneak peek at the story:
Concept art for book cover titled "Beyond the Gallows: Can Evil Be Saved?" consisting of a faded painting of a dog in a cemetery.

"The itch was a rattler coiled tight in my gut, its rattle near to shakin' loose."

A ruthless outlaw named Will Carter grapples with his dark past after a mysterious resurrection. Reborn as Eli, he embarks on a journey of redemption, battling his violent nature while encountering kindness that challenges him to his core. He reluctantly aids a young woman protecting Apache children, discovering a newfound strength in protecting those he cares for. As Eli confronts his demons and past, he finds a chance for a new beginning filled with hope and the possibility of love.

A 1950s pulp fiction style illustration of a determined cowboy riding a horse beneath a menacing gallows noose.
"Just as the trapdoor gave way beneath me, a thought flickered, sharp and fleetin': 'I coulda done it different.'"

Read Eli's full journey on betareader.io, or contact me for a free digital copy to review!! 

I'm eager to hear your thoughts on titles, cover art ideas, or if you're interested in being a beta reader! Feel free to share your ideas in the comments below.

You can also find me on Instagram and Facebook.


Stay tuned! I'll keep you updated on my progress and reveal the final title and cover art soon.

Happy reading,

Christine Tellach

P.S. Don't forget to subscribe for more behind-the-scenes glimpses and exciting updates!

Comments